Frequently asked questions
What happens if we lose a toy / item?
Surprisingly this very rarely happens! And when it does, the toy usually shows up somewhere and is returned with the next kit. Let us know if you can't return an item and we will note it down. If it doesn't show up when your next kit is due to be returned then we will charge a small fee (around $5) depending on the item.
Are your toys safe and clean?
Absolutely. My Play Kit takes your health and safety very seriously. My Play Kit toys are disinfected using hospital grade alcohol and chlorine-free spray from Reynard Health Supplies. This spray is bactericidal, mycobactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal, and sporicidal. The items are then wiped down with neutral detergent wipes. The spray and the wipes are approved by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA). If the item is fabric, they are given a hot wash with detergent. The kits are not distributed again straight away so any germs that may be lingering will die. In an abundance of caution, returns will remain out of circulation for two weeks. You can rest assured, between the cleaning and sanitization process, along with the "toy quarantine" time between shipments, your items will be safe for your little one.
In terms of COVID-19 concerns, the World Health Organization states: "It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment). If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others."
In a 2020 study from The New England Journal of Medicine, the following is reported: "SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces... On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours and no viable SARS-CoV-1 was measured after 8 hours. On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours." Given that we strive to be sustainable, we have fewer plastic items, meaning it is less likley to allow the virus to linger.
What if my little one falls in love with an item?
If you would like to keep one of the toys for your little one then we are able to sell any of the items at a reduced price to you. Just send us and email, and let us know which item!
Do I have to send my kit back to receive a new one?
Yes, this is the case for Memberships. We do have for-prchase kits available if you prefer to keep your toys, games and books for future use.
We recognize that kids tend to move through their toys quite quickly. What is popular one day, is lost in the closet the next. This eventually becomes clutter. Our Membership option provides you with the ability to cycle toys in and out of your house, keeping things exciting for your little one (and tidy for you!).
What is different about your toys?
We have worked hard to choose toys that will not only stimulate your child’s imagination and help them reach developmental milestones, but are also not readily available in all toy stores. We choose good quality toys from reputable brands, some of which are sourcing material from forests managed by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), ensuring the wooden products are not leading to unmanagable destruction.
We lean away from plastic products where we can, to ensure durability and a reduction of plastic use. We are saddened by the increasing plastic waste in the planet, and wanted to do our part to eliminate that. You will see plastic toys from time to time, however, but from manufactures that produce solid product.
What happens if a toy arrives damaged or with a missing piece?
This very rarely happens, but, alas, sometimes items go missing or toys get damaged along the way. While we are thorough in our toy tracking, and intend to spot such occurences, we may not catch everything!
Please promptly report any damage to us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take note and make it up to you if we can.
If we do not hear from our customers when there is a piece missing or damage noticed, we can only assume it was damaged or lost during that Kit issue. If that is the case, we charge the toy to the customer at a reduced rate and they keep it.
Would your service work for twins or siblings?
The majority of our toys are gender neutral and equally engaging for both boys and girls.
Some families have alternated their months between children, receiving kits for different ages each month, so we are open to ideas and requests.
Are your kits for girls and boys?
This is a great question. Our Kits are most certainly suited for everyone! We believe that toys can be played by all genders, and so our toys are neutral in that way. Every little brain has, in their own unique ways, the ability to play, construct, problem solve, imagine, etc., and that is the area on which we focus. Our little customers always have a world of fun with the Kits, regardless of their gender.
Can I select which Kit to Purchase?
Part of the excitement of our kits is what will be in the boxes. So we invite you to step into that excitement! We have photos of the kits for purchase as an example of what will be in the kit. And, while it is possible, it is not guaranteed that you will receive exactly the same items seen in the photographs. What we do guarantee is that you will receive enjoyable, thoughtful, stimulating toys most suited for the age and stage of your little one.
If you have a specific request for a toy as seen in the Toy Store or the Book Store, let us know at email@example.com and we can see what we can do to piece together the kit if your choice. However, the ability to meet your special request will be contingent upon inventory.
What is the difference between a "Membership" and a "Subscription"?
A Membership refers to customers who want to pay up front for the full alottment of months.
A Subscritpion refers to customers who are on automatic monthly payments throughout the alottment of months.
This is a way for us to differentiate between the two preferences, as well as providing you with some choice around how to pay. We recognize there are different budgetary styles and incomes and we want to be as flexible as we can be.
I have multiple kids, can I alternate between them each month?
Absolutely! Just let us know in the "Add a Note" section at the time of checkout. Tell us both of the kids' names and ages, and which months you would like which kits.
What are the Age Ranges for your Kits?
The Kits are designed to match the natural developmental processes of little bub's little brain, and in early days the development is fast! So for the first two years the age increments are within 3 months, as follows:
3 - 6 Months
6 - 9 Months
9 - 12 Months
12 - 15 Months
15 - 18 Months
18 - 21 Months
21 - 24 Months
At this point, the increments extend to 6 months, as follows:
2 - 2.5 Years
2.5 - 3 Years
No worries, you still get a monthly kit! This just means the kinds of toys and books are not as targetted to early, fast-moving development. They are, of course, still suited to the said age ranges.
The 3+ Year Kit is certainly enjoyable for older than 3, and in fact we have had some 5 year olds love the older-age kits. Of course, enjoyment and development is not absolute or exact, nor is it the same for every little brain.
Why is the age range I want to select not available or visible in the drop-down menu?
Sorry about that! At times we have to make a particular range unavailable given the amount of kits that are presently hired. BUT, this changes every month given the frequent fluctuation in our inventory. Once a kit is returned, and it goes through the sanitization process, it will be re-added to our inventory. So, be sure to check back the following month, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and inquire.
What are your Terms and Conditions?
When you complete your purchase, you will be prompted to review them, but you can also see them below. You cannot complete the purchase withour reviewing and agreeing.
"ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS
1. Introduction. Welcome to My Play Kit Ltd. These terms and conditions are the terms on which My Play Kit Ltd makes its services available to you. Please read them carefully.We assume that if you use our services you:(i) have read these terms(ii) understand them(iii) agree to comply with them(iv) are at least 18 years old.
2. Definitions. “My Play Kit”, “us”, “we”, “our” mean My Play Kit Ltd.“Customer”, “subscriber”, “you”, “your” mean you as a user of the services provided by My Play Kit Ltd.“Payment Method”, “Subscriber Payment Method” mean the method for payment that you have set up with My Play Kit Ltd.
WHAT WE AGREE TO PROVIDE
5. Description of the My Play Kit Ltd service. My Play Kit is an online toy store and subscription toy rental service. If you subscribe, My Play Kit will provide you with access to a comprehensive selection of stimulating toys for babies and toddlers from 3 months and up to 3 - 3.5 years old. We offer subscription plans at varying price levels. To see these plans visit the My Play Kit Ltd website.
6. Service is limited to New Zealand. The service provided by My Play Kit is limited to New Zealand. No toys or other products will be distributed outside New Zealand. Prices displayed on our website include New Zealand GST (Goods and Services Tax).
7. How Toys are delivered. Once you subscribe to a plan, we will courier kits to you. This cost is included in your membership / subscription purchase cost, or will be charged separately on item purchases.
8. How you return a Kit. We will remind you by email when your kit is due to be returned. We will include in the kit a return ticket for you to use to return the kit. After we remind you to prepare the kit for return, you must let us know when it is ready. We will then contact the courier company.
9. Receiving delivery of Toys. Kits are delivered to your door using a courier company. My Play Kit commits to a delivery time of 5-7 days. Shipping may be longer if the address is rural. My Play Kit is not responsible for delays in shipping. You will be notified by email once the kit has been sent. If necessary, it is your responsibility to receive the box of toys when it is delivered. You may need to arrange authority for the courier to leave the package if you are not going to be at home to sign for it. My Play Kit will not compensate you for any time you are without your kit if the tracking number reveals several unsuccessful attempts to deliver the kit to you.
10. Sanitisation. My Play Kit takes your health and safety very seriously. My Play Kit toys are disinfected using a hospital grade, alcohol and chlorine free spray. They are then wiped down with neutral detergent wipes. The spray and the wipes are approved by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA). See more in our FAQs.
11. Buying Toys. My Play Kit may sell new or used toys that are part of the rental program. The price of a used toy will be less than the recommended retail price. (The price might not be lower than that of a public retailer selling it at a deep retail discount). To make a purchase, please email email@example.com and inform My Play Kit if you wish to keep/buy a toy. Your toy purchase will be charged to your existing Payment Method.
WHAT YOU AGREE TO DO
12. Use the Toys safely. My Play Kit tries to provide you with toys that are suitable for the age of your child, however, it is your responsibility to ensure these toys are used safely. My Play Kit will not be responsible for any harm suffered by children through toys not being used in a safe manner. The safe use of toys includes adequate supervision of children who are playing with the toys.
13. You agree to pay for the service. By subscribing to and using the My Play Kit service, you agree that we are permitted to bill you up front for the membership months, monthly for subscriptions options, any applicable tax and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of the My Play Kit service. Additional charges may include charges for broken toys, charges for missing pieces or the purchase of previously used toys or service level changes you requested. As used in these Terms, "billing" shall indicate either a charge or debit against the Subscriber Payment Method, as applicable. The fee may be billed each month for subscriptions or in a lump sum at the time of purchase, depending on the item in question. If you wish to continue after the allotted months, please re-purchase or get in touch with us. All fees and charges are non-refundable and there are no refunds or credits for partially used periods.
14. We may change fees and charges. We may change the fees and charges in effect, or add new fees and charges from time to time, but we will update the website accordingly to ensure you are informed of these changes .
15. You may make changes to your payment method. If there is a change in your credit card validity or expiration date, it is your responsibility to inform us at our earliest convenience. This is important in relation to toy purchases and lost item charges after memberships are already arranged. We will not arrange for courier delivery until credit card information is updated.
16. If you use the service after your payment method expires. If the Subscriber’s Payment Method reaches its expiration date, your continued use of the service constitutes your authorisation for us to continue billing that Payment Method and you remain responsible for any uncollected amounts.Contact information is on the My Play Kit website under the 'contact us' link.
17. Cancelling your membership / subscription. Membership and subscription commitments are for the period of time agreed to at the time of purchase. You agree to continued monthly charges up to and including the final month from your original purchase. All toys that you did not purchase must be returned or you will be charged for the toys. You may suspend your subscription via communicating with us directly, but you agree to recommence to complete your agreed upon term, or pay out the remainder. If there is no communication from you regarding recommencement, after reasonable attempts to contact you, My Play Kit Ltd reserves the right to bill the card on file for any remaining fees from unused months. Cancellation of a subscription will incur a fee of $100 or the total of remaining months, whichever is less.You may transfer your subscription and membership to another user.
18. Our right to terminate your account. We reserve the right to terminate your account for any or no reason.
19. We do not give refunds. WE DO NOT PROVIDE REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR ANY PARTIAL MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD, FOR TOYS NOT PLAYED WITH, OR FOR GIFTS OR CERTIFICATES. Regarding items not considered for hire, we may provide refunds for items that have been purchased and returned to us unopened and unused. It is the customer's responsibility to cover the cost of return courier in these cases. The return courier fee can be deducted from your refund amount. You agree to communicate directly with us about such arrangements.
20. Broken Toys. If a toy is broken when it is delivered, contact My Play Kit within 72 hours of receiving the delivery, report the broken toy and it will be replaced for you at no cost. If you do not contact the office within 3 days of delivery My Play Kit will assume the toy was damaged by you and you will be charged accordingly. If you break a toy that you have rented from My Play Kit, you agree to purchase this toy from My Play Kit at retail cost if required by My Play Kit. Wear and tear from rental use is not considered "broken".
21. Missing Pieces. If you return a toy to My Play Kit with missing pieces, you will receive an email notice giving you 14 days to locate and return the missing piece to My Play Kit. You have up to six weeks to return the missing piece. If you do not return the missing piece, you will be charged for the missing piece.
22. Gift Certificates. If gift cards are available for you to purchase through our website, any gift card you purchase is non-refundable. Purchased gift cards will be emailed to the giver and, if specified, the recipient. Gift cards are redeemable for the My Play Kit service only in New Zealand. We will automatically bill your Payment Method for any purchased gift cards.
23. Lost Return Labels or Boxes. If the return box is lost or damaged you can return your My Play Kit toys in any other box. My Play Kit can mail you a return box, which will be charged to your Subscriber payment method. If the return label has been lost or damaged, My Play Kit will provide a new return label via e-mail. You contact My Play Kit support to receive a replacement return label. If the return courier ticket is lost or damaged, My Play Kit will send you another ticket and charge it to your Subscriber payment method or alternatively you can organise your own.
25. Website. This website and all its content, is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, international treaties and/or other proprietary rights and laws of New Zealand and other countries. All individual elements making up the site are also copyrighted works. You agree to abide by all applicable copyright and other laws, as well as any additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in the site. Copying any content from this site to any other site, or reselling, distributing, or publishing that content in any way is prohibited. Any violation of this paragraph shall subject the violator to severe penalties who shall indemnify and hold My Play Kit harmless from and against any and all costs and damages incurred by My Play Kit as a result of such violation. Any photos or descriptions submitted on the website become the property of My Play Kit and you assign to us, with full title guarantee, all copyright with respect to any information and photographs that may be used for promotional or other purposes.My Play Kit reserves the right to remove from our website any information that is submitted that, in the opinion of My Play Kit, is offensive or inappropriate in any way.
DISCLAIMER, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, INDEMNITY
26. Disclaimer. You expressly understand and agree that your use of our services is at your sole risk. The website and services are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. To the maximum extent permitted by law My Play Kit disclaims and excludes all implied conditions or warranties, including, but not limited to, any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
27. Liability. You agree that, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any and all liability and responsibility of My Play Kit to you, or any other person under, or in connection with, these terms and conditions, the services, this Website, another Subscriber’s acts or omissions, or your use of, or inability to use, the services or this website, is excluded regardless of whether such liability arises in contract, tort (including negligence), equity, breach of statutory duty or otherwise. My Play Kit’s liability and responsibility is excluded in respect of any and all loss or damage, whether direct or indirect, including, without limitation, loss of profits, loss of data, loss of business or anticipated savings, general and special damages, and consequential and incidental loss. Applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages. In no event shall My Play Kit be liable for any amount in excess of the fees paid by the Subscriber.
28. Indemnity. You agree to release, indemnify and keep indemnified us from and against all actions, claims, costs (including legal costs and expenses), losses, proceedings, damages, liabilities, or demands suffered or incurred by us to any person arising out of or in connection with your failure to comply with these terms and conditions. My Play Kit cannot and will not act as a mediator or arbitrator between Subscribers in any dispute arising from the use of our services.
ASSIGNMENT OF THIS AGREEMENT
29. Right to Assign. My Play Kit may assign its rights to these Terms without your consent. If My Play Kit assigns its rights, is sold to another entity, or enters into an agreement with another company to share information, My Play Kit or its successor will give notice to you and you may opt out by terminating your Subscription.
LEGAL ACTION AND ENFORCEMENT OF THIS AGREEMENT
30. In event of a disputeIf a dispute arises between you and My Play Kit, any legal action will be brought exclusively in New Zealand, in accordance with these Terms, and the laws of New Zealand shall apply without regard to any other choice of law considerations. Any dispute which arises out of or is related to this Agreement, shall be resolved by BINDING arbitration conducted by an impartial person chosen from members of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand. The parties shall initially both bear their own costs of the arbitration. The prevailing party in any BINDING arbitration or Court action arising out of or relating to this Agreement shall be entitled to recover costs, expert witness fees, attorneys' fees and arbitrator’s fees. By using or continuing to use the services of My Play Kit, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
Shipping / Delivery
How are the Kits packaged and shipped?
The Kits are placed inside of a durable fabric bag, as can be seen in the Product photos. Inside that bag, some of the toys come in smaller fabric bags which are hot-washed between customers. We then place these inside of a cardboard box for shipping. To return, everything goes back into the same bags and shipping box. We hope to reduce the use of cardboard as well, so utilizing the same box is helpful. When opening, try not to tear the box as it helps them live longer!
Am I able to pause my delivery on a Membership or Subscription?
Yes. Just send us an email. We are more than happy to work around busy family schedules. Let us see how we can help. We will just require that you tell us how long the suspension will be so we can organize on our end.
How do I return the Kit at the end of the month?
When you receive the Kit you will find a return courier ticket. We will notify you when it is time to return it and remind you to get it ready. We will book the courier and all you need to do is have the box ready and waiting outside for pick up. Simple!
What are your shipping costs?
We are presently shipping to both the North and the South Island. The differences in shipping costs reflect the differences in distance.
For Two-Way Kits
Shipping costs are included in the cost of Play Kit Memberships and Subscriptions for all deliveries within the Auckland region. The cost includes both the delivery to you and the return to us once your month is complete.
For outside the Auckland region, we have added a reduced shipping rate.
N. Island: $ 8.00 x 2 (mulitplied by 1, 3 or 6 months)
S. Island: $ 12.00 x 2 (mulitplied by 1, 3 or 6 months)
With the Membership option, you would pay for the kit and the shipping as a combined total at checkout. Alternatively, you can elect to sign up for a monthly Subscription, where you would be charged the Kit rate and the shipping rate each month.
For One-Way Items
This includes items from the online Bookstore, Kits to Buy, or individual toys from the Toy Store. Our system will automatically provide you with the shipping price depending on your region you are required to select.
Auckland: $ 5.00
N. Island: $ 8.00
S. Island: $ 12.00
At present, we are not structured to ship internationally; however we are happy to hear from you by email if you are keen to receive our product. We would be happy to explore additional shipping options a-la-carte, especially if you are making a purchase instead of a monthly subscription rental.
In some instances, shipments to rural addresses may incur additional charges if customers opt not to use the drop-off/pick-up locations dictated by our partner couriers when offered. If you opt not to use the drop-off/pick-up locations, direct rural deliveries will be charged to the credit card on file after order fulfillment and rate determination. Rates depend on the address and the courier used for that area.
Please be in touch before you order if you would like more clarity on what your shipping circumstances may be.
What if I lose my return courier ticket you sent to me?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can sort it out from there.
Do I have to keep your box for returns?
Yes please :) Just tuck it away for the month, and then bring it back out when we start to arrange for courier pick-up. This way you do not have to fret about finding a box. Just try to keep it intact and undamaged as we would prefer to use less waste as the time goes on. We really value reducing our waste footprint.
If you do misplace the box, or it is damaged, then you can return the toys to us in any other box you have. Just remember, your return shipping label is on the original box!
When do you send out your shipments?
We prepare our shipments every Monday. This means that items will be boxed and prepared for Monday or Tuesday courier pickup.
Do you charge for Rural Deliveries?
Yes, or no. This tends to fluctuate a little bit, depending on your address and the courier partner we have assigned to that area.
In some instances, shipments to rural addresses may incur additional charges if customers opt not to use the drop-off/pick-up locations dictated by our partner couriers when offered. If you opt not to use the drop-off/pick-up locations, direct rural delivery will be charged to the credit card on file after order fulfillment and rate determination. Rates depend on address and the courier used for that area.
Feel free to be in touch with us beforehand if you would like to assess options and potential cost.
Managing Your Service
Can I extend my Membership/Subscription?
We are so happy that you like our produce and service that much! Absolutely you can. Just send us an email and we will set you up accordingly.
Can I transfer my order to another person?
Yes of course! If you find that our service is not right for you, we would be happy to transfer the service into a friends name. We would just change the customer information. For that, we would need to contact the new cutsomer to update payment and shipping details. They can pick up where you left off, easy peasy.
Can I cancel my subscription?
If you have signed up for a 3 or 6 month subscription, but you have decided the service is not right for you, you have some options. Firstly, you can consider transfering the service to someone you know. We would just need to contact that person and input their shipping and payment details to continue your remaining months.
Alternitively, you can request a cancel and in that instance, you will be charged for the remaining months, or $100, whichever is less.
Can I get a refund?
We can issue a refund for purchased items (including for-purchase Kits). Refunds will be issued once the items are received and confirmed to be undamaged and in original packaging. Return shipping is the responsibility of the customer. If you request, we can make the arrangement with our courier, and bill the fee to our courier account. In that instance, we would just deduct the retourn courier fee from your refund.
We do not issue refunds for Gift Certificates.
We do not provide refunds for any full or partial monthly membership/subscription period, or for toys not played with.
If the service is not right for you at this time, you have the option to suspend, transfer or cancel. Cancellation will incur related charges.
Can I pay for each month all at once?
If that is easier for your management, yes. Three and Six month Memberships are billed up front at the time of becoming a member. The benefit of one-time, up-front payment is the peace of mind, not having to worry about the expense each month.
However, we recognize that this can seem like a daunting price for some. For that reason, you also have the option of signing up for a
Subscription. You pay the first month through the checkout, including one month's shipping, and we will set up your monthly subscription for the following months.
As an alternative, you are welcome to purchase a one-month membership, month-by-month, and you would still have the benefit of new kits arriving after every purchase. If that works for you, that works for us.
I received a gift / promo code. Where do I redeem it?
During the checkout process, you will see a box that says "Enter a Promo Code". Type the Gift/Promo Code into the box and select "Apply" for the system to recalculate the amount owing.
My Promo Code isn't working! HELP!
This can occur from time to time. We set some of the promo codes up to expire so we will double check to see if the sale and promotion is still running. If not, you may have missed the window! SHOOT!
Let us know by email or by messaging us through the website if you are having trouble. If it should be working, and its an unpredictable glitch, we will find a workaround with you.